Thursday, July 2, 2009

My Mat Exhibit



I was very pleased and proud to have had two of my mats chosen by the committee of the Craft Council of NL., of which I am a member, to have included in the AME {annual member exhibit} at their craft store in Devon House, which is situated at 59 Duckworth St. in St. John's, NL. This exhibit began on June 21st and will continue until August 16th. My mats, which measure 24"x36" are designed and hooked by me using different sizes of strips of hand cut materials worked on Primitive Burlap. Each is an "Original". These are the two mats that were chosen, "When Cod Was King"--- the idea coming from a photograph of my father-in-law and his fishing crew with a full boat load of cod fish, a sight probably never seen in my day because of the demise of the cod today in the area where I live. The other is named "Women Spreading Fish to Dry" because that is exactly what it is. In my day, the men brought the fish, split, cleaned it and left it to the women to spread to dry to sell in the Fall of the year and indeed, to feed their families over the winter as well.

1 comment:

  1. Anne,

    You have a wonderful talent and I am so glad to say that I am currently working on an original Anne design.

    Congratulations on your blog; I think you have done a nice job and will look forward to some pictures of your garden and a recipe or two.

    Your friend in Corner Brook,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete