Monday, August 17, 2009

The Joy of Gardening



I haven't posted for a couple of days only because I have been so very busy with the vegetables that are growing like crazy. All the veggies seem to be ready earlier this year and probably it is because of the super warm weather we have had over the past while and night temperatures are exceptional for our area as well. The rain has begun here tonight and according to the forecast, it will continue for a few days. Maybe, just maybe, I will be able to get my mat frame set up again and get to some of the mats that I have committed to do. For now I am posting two pics.---one of another harvest of cucumbers and the other the result of them; that being Bread & Butter Pickles. I would be more than willing to share my recipe......

3 comments:

  1. Your pickles look wonderful. Thanks for sending the mustard pickles. It sounds great. I am going to try them out this weekend and the marinated carrots.

    If you have time, please post your b & b pickles too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, the B&B pickles were easy to do compared to the mustard ones. Here is the recipe:

    10 pounds cucumbers, sliced medium thick
    1/3 cup pickling salt
    5 cups white vinegar
    5 cups sugar
    2 teaspoons mustard seeds
    1 teaspoon powdered cloves

    In a larg glass or stainless steel bowl combine cucumbers and salt and let stand for 3 hours. Then drain.
    In a medium-size saucepan, combine remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Add cucumbers, but do not reboil.
    Pack cucumbers and syrup into hot, sterilized pint jars, leaving 1/4 in. headspace. Seal. Process in a boiling water bath or steam canner for 5 minutes.
    Yiels: 7 to 8 pints.

    I used a boiler to boil the syrup because then I had plenty of room for the cucumbers. my yield was 10 bottles...Hope you like those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks very much. I was out at lunch time buying vinegar/bottles. I am going to be busy trying your recipes.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete